Day 1 of the Autoimmune Protocol is just 5 days away, and I’m working hard to get my head around it. I’ve just listed 10 Reasons Why I’m Committing to the AIP, and I’m going to print them out and stick them up in my kitchen, where I’ll see them every day.
As well as being Clear As to Why, I need to be Clear As to What. The Paleo Diet, which we’ve been doing our best to follow since September 2014, means no cereals, no legumes, no non-nutritive sweeteners, very limited dairy, no modern vegetable oils, no modern food chemicals and no alcohol. To this list the Autoimmune Protocol, as defined by Sarah Ballantyne, means no seeds, no nuts, no dark chocolate, no seed-derived spices, no clarified butter, no eggs, no nightshades. No coffee. Or black tea. No potential gluten cross-reactive foods. I don’t even know what they are.
It’s going to be challenging. Here’s my list as To Why I’m Committing to the AIP.
- I’m Tired of the Pain. If, through 2 or 3 months of AIP, I’m able to reduce the chronic inflammation that shifts around from my hips and lumbar spine, into my shoulder fascia, through to my right middle finger, and then back to my hips, then it will be worth it.
- I Want to Know. If, through 2 or 3 months of AIP, I’m able to identify exactly what is triggering my Immune System to work overtime, then it will be worth it.
- I Want a Break from the Mucous. I know already that some foods (anything sweet, even a date or a banana) cause an uncomfortable mucous reaction – which is the Immune System flaring up – and this has been going on for years. A few months without that will be great.
- I Want to Reprogram my System. Somewhere, somehow, all the signals between my immune system and my brain have gotten mixed up. My immune system thinks I’m eating poison. (I was.) It’s so confused the antibodies have been attacking my own healthy cells. I want them to stop, and even if they will never unlearn this bad habit, I at least want them to forget about it for a while. I want my whole system to remember and re-learn what it means to be healthy.
- I Want to Continue to Heal my Gut. A lot of healing has been going on since our first Whole 3o, and there’s more work to be done. I want my gut to return to it’s normal state of selective permeability.
- I Want to Be Free. Which means I don’t want to be dependent, but Independent, of those habits which I know are all about emotion, culture, history, and nothing about health, healing, happiness or nutrition.
- I Want to Give It My Best Shot. The only way I’m going to find out if something specific is causing the pain is by going the full monty. If I commit to AIP for a few months, and my inflammation issues remain the same…well, at least I’ll know that I’ve done all that I possibly can that’s within my own power. And I’ll be healthier, none the less. And if the inflammation reduces or goes away, woo hoo! It will so have been worth it.
- I Want to Be Responsible for my Own Health. I want to be as free as possible from the medical industry and from Big Pharm. If going AIP for a few months means no anti-inflammatories and a long time between doctor’s visits, then it’ll be worth it.
- I Want to Learn New Skills. I want to know how to cook fantastic AIP friendly foods and create AIP friendly snacks, which will take me into a whole new paradigm of the Paleo Diet and Lifestyle.
- I Want to Be an Inspiration to Others. I want to know from lived experience what the AIP is all about, so that I can help others who are on the journey, and contribute positively to our revolution of self-managed health and empowered knowledge.
I would love to know what your reasons are for starting on the AIP, the Paleo Diet, or the Whole 30. Do let me know where you are on your journey, so our energy stays high and our knowledge flows.
Thanks for reading, thanks so much for Sharing on Social, and thanks for hanging out with me and Paleomantic on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pintrest.
Best Wishes, Good Health