It’s child’s play to make a healthy-fat-fueled treats that’ll satisfy the expectations of chocolate lovers and curb the appetites of growing youth. You only need a few good quality ingredients. Chop, melt, mix, spread and cool. Job done, and everyone’s delighted.
Chocolate Slab with Macadamia Nuts and Almonds … Or Is It Chocolate Bark?
Looking for the recipe? Scroll all the way down.
Some people – Australians, probably – call this thick, nut-filled mass of chocolate a “slab”. Others call it “Chocolate Bark”. I prefer “slab”, possibly because I’m Australian, but certainly because “bark” conjurs up a different concept for me. A thin sheet whose edges fold inwards, like chocolate curls.
It’s also got something to do with the process. The men in my family are cement workers. When constructing foundations, they literally “lay a slab”. And so with this chocolate – you need to spread it out and smooth it over with a spatula. A chocolate slab, studded with macadamia nuts and almonds.
It’s got substance. It’s reinforced. And with those slivered almonds, it even looks like something you could build with. A chocolate wall. A dark chocolate house.
With all those antioxidants and monounsaturated fats, it’ll certainly make you strong.
More Chocolate Treats
What’s So Good About Chocolate? – Don’t miss this post. It fully justifies your love of dark chocolate.
Homemade Baci, Choc Hazelnut Kisses – Lovely for Valentine’s Day!
Chocolate, Almond and Hazelnut Torte – Perfect for dinner parties.
Chocolate Coconut Rough – No bake – make them with the kids.
I hope you love this recipe. Before you go don’t forget to sign up for the News and download your Free Printables. Remember, as a reader of Paleomantic, you receive a 10% discount at Primal Kitchen and Primal Blueprint – just use the code PALEOMANTIC when you’re asked for it at Checkout.
Big thanks for spreading the Paleo message through all your Shares on Social and for your Pins – when you’re snuffling around Pinterest, check out my boards ‘On the Blog’ and ‘Paleomantic Recipes’ where you’ll find the fun graphics.
And thanks so much for choosing to shop through the Affiliate Links here. Affiliate Links are a cool way to support your favourite bloggers – you never pay more, and the small commissions help keep our blogs sustainable, and keeps the information freely circulating for all.
Best Wishes, Good Health and Happiness.
Chocolate, Macadamia and Almond Slab
Makes 24 Squares
100 grams (3.5 oz) dark chocolate, 85% minimum cacoa
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
80 grams (2.8 oz) macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
80 grams (2.8 oz) sliced almonds
2 tablespoons ground coconut
- Melt the dark chocolate, oil and maple syrup: pour 1 cm of water into a small saucepan, then place a ceramic or metal bowl on top. Break the chocolate into pieces and place them into the bowl with the coconut oil and maple syrup. Bring the water to a boil and stir until everything is melted and smooth. Make sure no moisture enters the bowl.
- Put the macadamia nuts and sliced almonds into a medium-sized bowl. Pour over the melted chocolate. Mix thoroughly until the nuts and coconut are well coated.
- Line a tray with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spoon the mixture into the tray and spread it out to 1.5 cm (1/2inch) thick with a rubber spatula. It’s not necessary to reach the edges of the tray.
- Sprinkle the ground coconut over the top.
- Refrigerate. When the chocolate is hard, slice it into squares with a chef’s knife.