Banana and Carrot N’Oatmeal with Strawberries and Cream
Saturday mornings are special, and breakfast should be a treat. We love this Banana and Carrot N’Oatmeal – for us it hits the spot. Carrots and banana are naturally sweet, and cooking them with cinnamon and ground cloves intensifies the flavour – it’s hard to believe there’s no added sweetener. It’s smooth and creamy, yet has that porridgey texture we love. And with the blushing strawberry sauce served on top, breakfast is turned into a celebration. This one easily makes the list of Recipes to be Repeated.
Ah, Saturday mornings. We sleep in late, regardless of whether we’ve been out the night before. ‘Late’, for me, means 8am. For him, it’s a good half hour longer. I sneak out, grab my much loved, threadbare maxi-cardigan from it’s hook, and close the door softly behind me. I pad from bathroom to the living zone, let Roxy out of her den, and we have a cuddle on the couch before I make my way to the fridge and stove.
We’re in two, but I make enough for four. Yep, the extra is tomorrow’s breakfast already done. Carrots and bananas are peeled and roughly chopped – no need to be finiky. I put them in a pot with water, salt and cinnamon, pop on the lid, and turn on the heat. Once at a boil, I turn the temperature down to a simmer, and turn on the timer.
While the carrots and banana are cooking, I slice the strawberries and cook them over a very low heat (saving those destined to become the eye-popping garnish.)
Once the carrots and bananas are soft, I add the coconut milk, and blend it all until super smooth using an immersion blender placed directly into the pot. Back on the heat, I add the currants and shredded coconut, and bring it back to the boil.
Breakfast is ready, and it’s worth getting up for.
What is your favorite weekend Paleo – and/or AIP – breakfast?
Thanks for being part of the Paleomantic community, and thanks a million for sharing on your Social – every share generates so much positive energy and interest around our Paleo Diet and Lifestyle. A special thanks for your pins on Pintrest!
Don’t forget to take photos and post on Insta when you make Paleomantic recipes – tag me @paleomantic. Find me also on Facebook, Twitter, and Pintrest. Looking forward to connecting, and Thankyou!
Best Wishes, Good Health and Happiness
- 800 grams carrots
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
- ¼ cup currants, soaked in just enough water to cover
- 1 cup coconut milk, + ¾ cup for serving (1 x 400 ml can)
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 500 grams strawberries
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon iodised coarse sea salt
- Peel the carrots, lop off the tops and tails, and roughly chop.
- Place ¾ cup of water into a medium sized saucepan with the cinnamon, cloves and salt, stir a little, and then add the carrots and banana. With the lid on, bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 12 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- While the carrots and banana are cooking, dice 250 grams of strawberries. Put them into a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of water and cook over a very low heat until they have softened and become saucy.
- Take the carrots and banana off the heat. Add 1 cup of the coconut milk. Using an immersion blender placed directly into the pot, blend until it is super smooth. Remove the blender.
- Add the currants and dessicated coconut, stir thoroughly with a wooden spoon, and place back onto the heat. Stir with a wooden spoon for a couple of minutes, taking care as the porridge will bubble and spit.
- Breakfast is ready! Heap generous portions into bowls, and spoon the strawberry sauce over the top. Pour a little coconut milk around the edge to form a moat. Garnish with sliced, fresh strawberries.